Egypt 2017/2018 Part 2 - Luxor

On to Luxor via the Go Bus . . . Prices have gone up a lot ! 60LE in March. 90LE now.

Had a day at the temples. Karnak and Luxor. I was reluctant because I visited them in March but Ayman insisted. He said I needed to see them with a "proper" guide. Mohammed (in March) was our guide. He is

from Cairo and doesn't know Luxor that well plus I was in a group then. This will be private with a guide that he uses regularly. Ok fine. Yup - big difference. Much more interesting.

Next funny:
Ok, what was in the large box ? A huge, amazing tray of sweets and treats. Baklava, Basbusa, Konafa. Incredible ! ! ! Two trays, 1kg each. 2' diameter tray. (Yes - huge) and two sweet treats for my drive and guide for the day.

I pull out 2 200LE bills and ask Ayman if that will be enough and he smiles and tells me to go pay. I get 40LE back and walk away . . . Tap tap on the shoulder . . . "Here is the rest of your change"
and I'm handed another 100LE !?!? 260LE for ALL of it.  That is $18 CAD ! ! ! 4 tiny pieces of baklava costs $5 at home. Crazy ! ! !

I was invited to have dinner with Ayman and his family and that was what I took as the hostess gift. They were to the moon excited. I was surprised because I would have thought they can enjoy this anytime. But maybe not.

Observation:

Paper is precious/Plastic is a plenty.
Good luck finding a napkin for you hands or toilet paper in the bathroom. But plastic bags and bottles are everywhere. Bought something in a large box that had to be carried bit they still put it in a plastic bag (I tried to say not needed but well . . .) Everything is put in a plastic bag.

Back to the paper . . . Thank heavens I  (almost) always have my own supply of tp.  Unfortunately I was caught off guard at the "family" home when I went for a pee. So I did use "the hose" but then was so wet !?!? So I, ummm, used my sleeve to pat dry !?!? Ya, I probably shouldn't put that in writting but it is also pretty funny - it was just water!  I asked Ayman about it a d he just shrugged and laughed . . . Guess it is the good ole drip dry but there is a lot of water to drip !

Met the new baby in the family . . . 20 days old. Oh boy, they want me to hold it . . . Yup, it cried . . . That didn't take long.

1 comment:

  1. Funny stuff...good for you...now I know why you always take t.p. lol

    ReplyDelete