Egypt 2017 - Day 6 - Hurghada to Luxor

Have I mentioned how fekking windy it is !?!? Insanely windy. Don't travel with me because it seems where I go, the wind goes !  Anyway, it was so windy last night it woke me up a few times. But I did get a bit of a sleep in - YaY.

Got myself mostly packed up . . . Put everything on the bed and wondered how the heck it was all going back in my pack - but it did.

Down for coffee, some food and  then to the shop. Tony is taking me to finish some shopping, get everything I need for my mini-Shisha pipe and then to the bar for tea and to teach me how to use it.

Well, this is it. Time for me to leave Hurghada. Very very sad but it was an incredible experience.

People keep saying they could never do what I'm doing but here are my tips:
  • Smile
  • Be friendly
  • Trust your gut - you will know who is genuinely interested or just wants to make a buck.
  • Just say no! But say yes too !
  • Show interest to those that are interested in you
  • Learn some words
  • Leave the resort !
  • Make friends !
Keep in mind tourism is their bread and butter. They want us here and they want us back. They are going to treat you well!

10min Taxi to the "Go Bus" 30LE  (I'm finally paying for things again)  4hour bus ride to Luxor 60LE. Public transit is the way to go !

So now I have to eat crow . . . met Marion, a GERMAN, as soon as I got to the station  (she's also backpacking and the only other non-local)  She came right over and we start chatting. Sweet as pie !

Get on the, full, bus and I'm sitting next to an Egyptian lady. She is excited to introduce her self and learn my name. She doesn't speak any English and I suck at charades. But we tried. Then she gave me some fresh buns that she had just made this morning. To die for ! ! !

Once we let some people off (including Alam - who was very excited to show me her husband - it was pretty cute. ) Marion asked me to join her at the front. She has travelled so much and just the way I want to - fascinating. She said it just gets better with age (she's 51).

We get off the bus to be greeted (maybe felt a bit like being accosted) by a Taxi driver and his friend (the guy that tries to sell you stuff) but Marion and I decided to share a ride with them. We ask them to take us to a local restaurant for food and beer. We ended up on a patio - really that was all it looked like. A few low patio tables and chairs. But we got food and beer.  The guys joined us and the driver and I played with the cats. I got a bit careless and got scratched pretty good . . . Cat scratches can be nasty at home, wonder how bad they are in Egypt !?!?

Anyway, here I am at a fancy pants hotel in Luxor. I'm in Luxor ! ! ! Pictures should start now!
Still no Internet in the room. So lounging in the lobby waiting for the rest of the group to arrive.

(11pm - I might actually have an early night!)

Traveling alone has been so much fun ! ! ! Think I'm going to miss it.

Nighty night xox

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear just how much fun you are having. Dad and I were a "little" bit anxious a couple of times but all is o.k. and we are just thrilled that you are getting to see all the wonderful sights. What a store of amazing memories you have. Love you, Love Us xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete