Off we go to see Karnak Temple during the day. We spent a lot of time here. It is massive and beautiful and old ! ! ! It is hard to comprehend just how old these places are. They are so elaborate and intricate and massive (this word will be used a lot I suspect) And all built by hand. It's just mind blowing to see the detail. The hieroglyphs are almost overwhelming.
We visited Luxor Temple next. It is actually in the heart of the city. When I arrived on the bus, Marion and I had dinner on the patio and we were in awe over this beautiful (massive) structure that was just across the street and so beautifully lit up. I didn't realize it was Luxor Temple ! Now I wish I had taken a picture !
Markets. omg . . . what nut houses. We stopped at two. The New Market wasn't too bad and very small. The Old Market is huge. I'm not ready to shop yet but thought maybe I could start getting ideas on prices. Nope. Do not stop, do not make eye contact, DO NOT touch it if you don't plan to buy it. Hassle hassle hassle. They are incredibly frustrating. I actually had to become a b!tch. You have to. They just don't stop coming after you.
Time to load up and head to the airport. As the day had been progressing the sand was picking up. The air was just getting thicker and thicker. We were lucky we were there when we were because by the time we got to the airport there was a thick haze over everything. We wouldn't have even seen the Nile.
So a sand storm rolled in a delayed us at ten airport for 2 hours! I thought that was actually pretty neat ! No one else in the group was impressed. They all ate expensive cardboard pizza at the airport too. Weirdos.
Finally arrived in Cairo. Cairo is . . . Massive !
Next stop our hotel in Giza. But I'm hungry (because I wouldn't eat cardboard pizza at the airport) and neither did Carol. So, they have to stop for us to grab something to eat. YaY . . . down a little alley to get the most amazing Shawarma - yum yum. Everyone was jealous because it smelled so good. Tasted fantastic too. 20 LE / $1.70
Settled in our room and we need water. Carol is going to shower so off I go to find us water. I stop at the front desk and ask where I can get the big bottles of water and he says to call room service. I just laughed and said that'll be too expensive (they agreed) They told me where to go (2 min walk) And I asked how much it should be. 3LE. I find to, grab 2 bottles and I'm told 5LE each. Buggers. They charge tourist more (I expected it) But still 2 2L bottles of water cost $0.85 CAD. Can't really complain.
Pyramids tomorrow ! ! !
Nighty night xox
No comments:
Post a Comment