Egypt 2017 - Day 2 - Cairo to Hurghada

I'm here, I'm in bed. Still exhausted !

While waiting to board the shuttle bus that took us to the plane, I made another new friend ! 6 1/2 year old Jacob.  (They had been on the same flight from Toronto). His words - he's "Half Canadian / half Egyptian". His mom wasn't too happy with that statement. She said there isn't any part of you that is Canadian. You are an Egyptian born in Canada." I liked his version. He was stuck to me like glue. Kinda cute. And thank heavens for that because if it weren't for his mom I'd still be waiting for my pack.  Even though we arrived domestic, our luggage was "international". We had to go to a completely different part of the airport and no one told us anything ! She had learned the hard way the first time she came here so knew exactly what to do and kept me close - thank heavens !

My ride from the airport - Valadimir - saw me, recognized me from a picture. I was so relieved to see that sign with my name on it !

INSANE roads. No lines, no traffic lights, everyone honks.

So, I'm not staying here. The room is fine but it is up and over an insane hill, in a gated community. Lovely place. Only locals. But no shops or food close by. That hill will kill me during the day. It's a good 2 km walk to the nearest shops.

I did try to sleep but not much luck. Kinda stressing about the location of this place. So start looking at options. Then I realize it is 5:30 and it's getting dark out. Hmm, what do I do. I need food and water ! So off I go. By the time I get to the bottom of the hill it is dark but the streets are lively so I feel OK to wander.

Cats, cats, cats everywhere !

I wandered the entire street.  And to be honest, it's a bit intimidating to think about going into the shops. No women anywhere. No English anywhere.

I got to the end of the street and started back when a handsome fella started talking to me. Confused at first, I was reluctant to engage but he was pleasantly persistent and his English was really good. We had a lovely time wandering and talking. My first Egyptian flirt lol. He was really reluctant for me to eat anything from this street. He said my stomach can't handle it yet. He was really concerned. I said I just wanted to have some felafel - that should be safe. So he took me into a shop, ordered for me and got me a side of sweet potato fries (not like home) because they would be safe for me lol.  It all came to 4 LE (Egyptian pound) ... 40¢ CAD ! He said they probably would have charged me 20 LE and I bet he is right. Then we got water and by now we are back at my hill. He gave me his number to add to WhatsApp so I could message when I had WiFi and we were probably going to wander some more tomorrow night. Except I screwed up. My phone didn't save his number.  I'm rather upset that it didn't warn me because I wasn't connected to a network. Sigh. It would have been nice.

I was excited to share with him that I took him up on his advise and will be staying at a resort for the next 3 nights, starting tomorrow.  He really thought that would be better for my stomach lol.

I'm now booked at an all inclusive that is $60 CAD a night !?! What was I thinking before !?!

Ok, going to eat my falafel and fries.

Then, it is Ativan time ! ! !

Nighty night xox



1 comment:

  1. That is so great, good for you. Glad you can make friends so easily. I'm sure it helps. Sorry about losing your first flirts number but at least you have a better place to stay. What was the cost where you originally were staying and are they cool with you leaving? This is so much fun. Dad is here too and loves it all. I guess everybody sees my comments too! If I have anything private to say, I will WhatsApp...lol. Awesome, thanks, this is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete